Friday, October 2, 2009

Random Video Game: Boom Boom Rocket


Well it's my off week, which means I'm still working on my next review. So to stick to my once a week post I decided that whenever I have an off week I will deviate from the cult classics to write about whatever else that interests me in the video game world, whatever that may be.
Boom Boom Rocket is a downloadable game from Xbox Live Arcade, though it came on a disc with my 360. The goal of the game is to trigger the explosions of fireworks in time with the music, as if you were putting on a huge display for the city below. Arrows representing the rockets fly upwards towards a line at the top of the screen; to blow it up, you have to hit the correct direction on your D-pad at the precise moment the arrow hits the line. The screen floats about as if you were in a helicopter, making it more challenging because the rockets always come from a different place.
The game is full of color, and is a complete joy to watch, let alone play. There are three different difficulties, easy, medium, and hard, but don't think that just because your good at other rhythm games you can skip right ahead and take on hard mode. The first time I played I remember thinking to myself, "Ha, I'm a master of Guitar Hero, this will be a piece of cake." Oh how I was wrong, so wrong.
All of the songs are of the classical variety, but are remixed into some pretty funky techno tracks. The game is short, simple and to the point. You'll probably learn how to play faster than other rhythm games, but don't expect to master it over night, but luckily the enjoyability will keep you coming back for more. So crack a beer, light up that big ol' HDTV of yours with some color and play some Boom Boom Rocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment